Is your home your haven? Is it an escape from the stresses of everyday life?
It may not be if your home contains too much clutter. Clutter adds stress to our lives. Here are some examples of the ways clutter can cause stress:
1. Having guests over becomes an embarrassment or an event that takes all-day preparation.
2. Each room carries visual reminders of all the work that needs to be done in the way of cleaning. A never-ending 'to-do list'.
3. Using your home for activities you enjoy like scrapbooking or yoga becomes difficult or impossible without taking significant time to clear the space.
4. According to the principles of feng shui, clutter drains you of your positive energy—you can actually feel it!
5. A cluttered home, rather than a haven from stress, is a big stresser in itself and intensifies the frustration and exhaustion that an already-stressed person feels.
If you want to create a relaxing retreat to escape from the outside world, you need a space that is free of clutter and contains only what you need, want and love!